Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lessons From Eve

Why did God curse Eve with loneliness and heartache, an emptiness that nothing would be able to fill?  Wasn't her life going to be hard enough out there in the world, banished from the Garden that was her true home, her only home, never able to return?  It seems unkind. Cruel, even.
He did it to save her. For as we all know personally, something in Eve's heart shifted at the Fall. Something sent its roots down deep in her soul- and ours- that mistrust of God's heart, that resolution to find life on our own terms. So God has to thwart her. In love, he has to block her attempts until, wounded and aching, she turns to Him and Him alone for her rescue.
Therefore I Will block her path with thorn bushes;
I will wall her in so she cannot find her way.
She will chase after her lovers but not catch them; she will look for them but not find them. (Hos. 26-7)
These words are an excerpt from a book I have now read two times.  Although a simple read, the concepts were profound and relevant to modern day femininity including her pit-falls, glories and the questions she brings to the world for answers. 

The author contends that women spend their lives looking to be filled and fulfilled by relationships in every form.  Not to say that men do not desire these things but they do not serve as their focal point.  Women on the other hand thrive and place much of their earthly energies in preserving and nurturing those relational ties as they are foundational to her happiness and sense of fulfillment.

It follows that if women were created for interconnectedness, we must also recognize the utter vulnerability it presents in a fallen world.  Looking to others, flawed in their own flesh, to validate our sense of worth and fulfillment is grasping at disappointment.  God created our feminine nature and called it perfect; sin destroys and marginalizes its power.

In the book, Stasi postulates that all are all born asking a set of questions.  Little girls and grown women in particular ask of the world and their men, "Am I lovely?  Am I lovable?  Am I enough?"  If she is fortunate, good men will answer in their humanness that, indeed, she is all those things.  An unfortunate woman will search until she is given an answer sometimes with tragic, soul-killing consequences.

In short and as a matter of personal application, I recognize that my "knight in shining armor" is a man who is incapable of making me whole not because of who he is but because of who he is not.  This is not a referendum against him or his character as much as it is an understanding that he is unable to satisfy me because I cannot be satiated, at least not completely.  It is not his burden to answer my deepest questions. Although flattery, cookies and diamonds are downright helpful in the interum.

Instead of letting that realization paralyze me with fear or feelings of loneliness, I choose to acknowledge that while he or any other relationship may function as an invaluable part of my life, they cannot be where my value and sense of security is affirmed.  This is both freeing and necessary to bring me back to the One who cleanses this stained and unlovely woman, places a crown of beauty on her head and deems her, in all parts, worthy.

6 comments:

  1. Amanda Kate Brdlik!!! Oh my gosh! (first, to sooth your worries this is Beth (clutter)not an obssessed yet passionate stalker ;))
    I was just mosing around the world wide web and whom to find find? a lady who I have apparently isn`t already ruling the world with is whitisms and lovelyness but apparently, she has to slowly be taking over the worlld with her writings!
    I have to admit, I am now in the postion where I have to seek out your autograph. I have been parusing through your world and your are so friggen funny! and smart, oh my word.
    goodness lady, goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know this . . . you are lovely, and you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bones, this is beautiful. I'm not even sure how to comment on it. It's perfect.

    Great job. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a change! (I only laughed once.) But how nicely written, dear Amanda Kate. What's the full title of Stasi's book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it had too many words.....boring...and no pictures....

    Just kidn...wow sister..Im with Beth! remember when you become a major author and make millions...who your favorite sister is...and its not Laura in case you get confused :o)

    ReplyDelete